Saturday, June 25, 2011

All Children Grow Up

Hm. I guess it's been a while since I last posted. Between my last post and today I had 2 days off and 3 days of work (2 of which were training days).

I spent my days off relaxing. My first day I went home to do laundry (the joys of being from Orlando!) and then saw Illuminations at EPCOT and Wishes at Magic Kingdom with my roommate, Michelina. While we were at MK we also rode Aladdin's Magic Carpets and Splash Mountain. We had the best time on these 2 rides, the first of which we probably had a little too much fun with. Something exciting about spinning in the air while controlling whether we go up or down! On Splash Mountain we made 2 hysterical faces for the picture, but of course we have no money, so it was no picture for us. When we first started traveling home we figured we'd be getting up early for a day at Animal Kingdom the next day. Yeah, that idea didn't make it past the night. We decided sleeping in would be our best option.

Wednesday was a lazy day, but we did make it over to Property Control to get a $25 television for the apartment (among other discounted items). We had to move the TV ourselves, which proved to be quite the challenge! Aside from getting Michelina's head stuck between the car roof and the television, it was somewhat of a success. I also got a fun 50 cent pair of sunglasses, as well as a $1 bag. (We ended up going back the next day and found even more sale items... it's a dangerous place!) Wednesday night Michelina and I met up with some of my pre-CP Orlando friends. I love that I don't have to leave so many things behind, and I loved that I was able to mesh the two friend groups together =D

Of course, after 2 days off it's hard to go back into work, especially if you don't have work until late in the evening. This was my Thursday. It felt like such a chore to show up to work, but I got there eventually, and of course loved being there. This rain is awful though. Every day it rains (welcome to Florida summers) and the crowds push into the stores where they stand in the worst possible places, buy nothing, and are amused by nothing. We do our best to keep them entertained though. On Thursday I got to declare one little girl "Trivia Princess of the Day" and gave her a celebrating badge and Magical Moment certificate. Her family was so happy I got to take a picture with her (yay!!!).

Friday I spent training on the cash apron cart over by Briar Patch. Let's just say that the heat makes many people need either water or squeeze breeze fans, and those are all that we sell at that cart.

Today was fun, save for waking up at 5:30AM to be at work for a 7AM shift. Today I trained on Cotton Candy and Leather Treaty. We started the morning by bagging 55 bags of blue cotton candy, which, though tedious, was very easy--even the clean up! In the afternoon we learned how to engrave leather bracelets and put in rivets or buttons. We even got to practice on a little strip that would make a good keychain.

My little keychain leather strap, made it myself!

Today was my favorite training day because I trained with another former cast member, so our trainer knew from the start that we knew what we were doing. She showed us how to do everything first, and then basically let us work the stations on our own. She was, by far, my favorite trainer. It down-poured just as I was leaving work today, and then I couldn't find my car! Even when I found it I did not remember parking there this morning! I headed straight to West Side AMC 24 to meet my dad for a Fork and Screen presentation of Bad Teacher. The movie was, surprisingly, hysterical. I also felt a sense of empowerment, meeting Dad after work and then paying for dinner and a movie. It made me feel adult, which is, after all, what I am these days. As much as working for Disney makes me feel like a kid, I'm here because I'm ready to start my career. After all, all children grow up, except one =P

PS: One of the parades that passes us is the afternoon, Celebrate a Dream Come True parade. The music gets stuck in my head most of the day =P Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment