Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Well Howdy Partner! Happy Trails!

Today was my first day actually on the registers and working with guests in some of the Frontierland shops. Unlike Hollywood Studios, Magic Kingdom is VERY big on themes... so today was full with bunches of Howdys, Partners, and Happy Trails. At first I didn't understand why these specialized greetings were so important (we didn't really use them at DHS) but every time I ended a transaction with "Happy Trails" the guests all smiled to themselves and the adults looked like children. And there's the magic of the Magic Kingdom. It really is a place where adults can be kids again and where dreams do come true.

That being said, I was around a lot of negative people today. I had trainers and stockers and other cast members who, instead of greeting us and trying to welcome us told us everything they hated about the company, the park, our area and our managers. It certainly wasn't a very Disney welcome, and it filled me with bits of trepidation at the idea of starting anew in this area, but I think in the end it will all work out.

My trainer gave me a hard time today because I kept trying to go one step ahead of her. Needless to say, I've been like that kid in third grade who really should have been in fourth, so I act like a know-it-all. I'm also a quick learner, so what I didn't know, I learned in 5 minutes. I really try to tone it down, but I can't pretend that I don't know how to use a cash register when there are guests in need of assistance. I can't pretend I forgot to ask about package pickup because I did. At one point my trainer even asked a guest if I was lying about asking her about package pickup. Seriously? I know it was a joke and all, but it's becoming obvious that this training program just isn't prepared to work with transfer Cast Members. Once again, they assume I know nothing and go from there.

A lot of guests asked questions about DHS and Fantasmic, which is really my forte. At least my trainer accepted I knew a bit more in this area. =D

Tomorrow is my assessment, so wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. ahaha!! Training in MK is ridiculous. Were you with a core trainer or someone from your area? Once you've been there for a few days, no one will give you any trouble!!!

    ReplyDelete