Saturday, June 4, 2011

A Few Days Before Move In

Hello! For those of you who don't know me, my name's Rory and on June 6 I will be starting the Disney College Program for Merchandise. I feel oddly unique in doing this for several reasons.

1) I grew up in Orlando and currently still reside here. I'd heard cast members whine and gripe about the CPs for different reasons, so I grew up thinking about the CP in a negative connotation.
2) I'm currently a seasonal CM at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Though there are many CPs who go seasonal after their term and then come back for a second, I'll be moving from Seasonal to CP.
3) I've already graduated college. In April I graduated with a degree in Recreation, Parks and Tourism from the University of Florida.

So I guess the big question right now is, how did I get here? Why am I doing the CP?

Well, in my last semester at UF I decided that my new career goal is to work in an events department at Walt Disney World. This could be general events, conventions, weddings, park events, anything really. My specialization is Event Management, so in February I decided to apply for the Disney Professional Internships. While waiting to hear back about my applications, I rejoined the DISBoards, an online community for Disney lovers. There I found others applying for internships, as well as learned more about the DCP.

When I finally had my internship interview I was all jitters, but I had a really good conversation with my interviewer and she suggested I apply for the DCP as a backup (being a DCP Alumna is a great advantage when applying for internships). After researching a bit more through the DCP website and the DIS I discovered that to apply for internships you either have to be in college or completing a DCP. This way if I didn't get an internship I was extending my eligibility by a term.

Well, as you can guess by this whole huge introduction, I was rejected for all the internships I applied for. So here I am. But don't take this as a bad thing. I'm actually really excited for my college program. After meeting others who will be there this fall, as well as researching more on classes and workshops offered through the CP I've discovered that this is just what I need to reacclimatize myself to Orlando after being away at college for 4 years.

I've heard that it's bad to go into the CP thinking it will give you a head start with the company, but I know how hard they work the CPs. I know it's not going to be a huge party at Disney. I'm prepared to work hard and keep my ears and eyes open for great opportunities. I'm excited to start this journey.

May the magic begin!

3 comments:

  1. Sooo I didn't realize that reacclimatize was a word... I've always used reacclimate. I'm glad yours is a word, too. I love your picture in the background, but it makes it hard to read your words :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed, hope it still works. I love the picture, I took it myself =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much better, thank you :)

    edit: I went to post this, and the "captcha" was "Bonesses"....I thought that was funny. LOL

    ReplyDelete