Sunday, June 19, 2011

Rewards of the Job

So it's been a bit since I last posted. I've been pushing myself through this last hump of work days in my 7-day straight work schedule. Tomorrow is the last one, and I cannot wait for the break!

These past few days I worked in the Trading Post, the biggest pin store in the park. Let me tell you, I wasn't into pin trading before I started the CP, but now I'm all invested! I love my pins, and it actually sort of pains me to trade some of them. As soon as I can I'm gonna buy my own starter set so I can actually keep some pins!

I wish I had the time to blog at the end of each work day. There are always so many stories I want to share! One from Friday shines above all the rest, though. On Friday I got my first GSF! A GSF is a Great Service Fanatic card. Any of your fellow employees (esp. managers) can give them to you when they see you, or hear about you going above and beyond to make a guest happy. Earlier last week I had been jealous because I knew 2 people who got GSFs on their first day of in-costume training and I never got one at DHS. Today I got one for going and getting toy guns from the closed cart outside so the people could buy them. It wasn't too big of a deal, but my manager was impressed. As soon as I got backstage I started jumping up and down and skipping to get my lunch. I was THRILLED. I'm really excited about the management team I'm working with. They all seem really happy and I can feel that they'll help me achieve my goals within the company.

Today was both wonderful and exhausting. I had a 9 hour shift, which shouldn't have been too bad, but a few people called in, so all our breaks were late and I had to extend a tiny bit so I could close Big Al's. I also had a moment today where I had to ask a coworker to take over my register for a minute so I could go backstage and vent out a little bit of frustration. Let's just say it's not always laughs and smiles when talking with guests.

My first part of today was spent greeting on the porch. I handed out lots of Mickey stickers and talked a lot with two young girls before the parade. One of the boys I gave a sticker to handed me a card that said "You deserve an award!" and had his name and hometown on it. SO adorable! It meant so much more than getting a GSF. Really we're in the business to make guests happy, so it's great getting feedback from them!

Towards the end of my porch shift I had a manager come up to me and talk with me about how great an attitude I have and what a great example I set for the new CPs. Like I said earlier, I kind of love my management team.

Tomorrow I get off at 8, so hopefully I'll have more time to blog about what exciting things happen then! Until next time <3

1 comment: