Thursday, June 9, 2011

New ID, Fun at MK and First Day of Training

Between yesterday and today I am totally wiped out (sensing a common theme with these posts yet?) It's been an awesome past few days though and I'm excited to share some of it with all of you!

Yesterday was the Traditions day for all the new CPs, but since I'm a current CM I didn't have to take it. That meant a day off for me! At Traditions new Cast Members get their name tags and Cast IDs. If you remember from my post about move-in day, this was something I was slightly worried about because I knew I needed to get the CP version of these 2 objects (my name tag was given to me at Casting). I was also sad because my new ID would no longer have my picture on it.

With that in mind, my new friend (and returning CP), Mary and I went down to Access Control on Wednesday morning to get our new IDs. The line was fairly long, but apparently it was the first day they were giving out the new ID badges. Well, this was wonderful! Not only did I get the new all-blue ID card, but the guy who gave it to me (and to a select few other CPs) gave me an ID with my picture. Mary didn't get the same guy though, and they gave her a non-photo ID. I guess it's because the process was new, so there's a chance they may have me change my ID again, but for now I'll enjoy still having a photo-ID!

Last night my roommates were finally able to get into the park, so we decided to head over to MK for Wishes! and The Magic, the Memories and You. When we got to the park though, none of their passes worked. So when they went to ticketing they told them that they wouldn't be active for 24-hours. We had been told we'd be able to get in, and apparently the lady at the window was a, for lack of a better word, total bitch. So we decided to watch the fireworks from the beach at the Polynesian, but 5-minutes before they started we found out that other new CPs were getting in. Some of the group went to the park to check it out, while 2 of us stayed behind to watch the fireworks. If you haven't guessed by now, I'm OBSESSED with fireworks! After the fireworks ended we caught the boat from the Poly to the MK and were able to get in after asking a much nicer lady from ticketing. We enjoyed some smaller rides and were able to get some ice-cream at the parlor on main street. One of my roomies, Michelina got a candied apple in the shape of Mickey!

As much fun as last night was, we didn't get home til about 1AM, and I had to be at Disney University at 7:15AM! Let's just say waking up was NOT an easy feat to accomplish! Magic Kingdom park training is called "Once Upon A Time... Begins Now!" After hearing about this training and seeing the start of it previously, I was really excited for this training! Sadly, it didn't live up to my expectations. Most of the new information was not new for me. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I couldn't help feeling like I was above the training. I knew how to greet guests with the different badges, and I knew how to keep a smiling face. The one thing I was truly interested in was learning how to operate the Utiladors, but even that was lost since we never really explored them. The day was hot, the sun was bright and we were all in dress clothes. After spending my whole life in the theme parks, I absolutely abhorred being forced to keep opening my map to check for things. I am not a fan of the Disney maps.

I'm sorry. This probably sounds elitist to all those who don't really know me. I should probably update the About Me section to include more about why I know so much about the Disney parks. I still greatly appreciated the parts of training that I didn't know, like fun stories about Liberty Square and the communications board in the tunnels. And both my facilitators for the tour were highly positive and encouraging. If this was your first cast tour of a park, I'm sure you would have enjoyed it much more than I did.

I also got my costume today... pictures to come at a later time to be determined.

After getting out an hour early, I decided to head to Wal-Mart to get my costume shoes, stockings, and a few other essentials. I made it back to the apartment around 1:30PM and had to leave for my next shift at 5:20PM. Yup, today was another first: my first 2-park working day. About a week ago I picked up a Fantasmic shift at DHS, since I didn't have Traditions to help supplement my income this week. I was able to squeeze in a small nap in between shifts, so that was lovely! Now back at home I always left an hour before I had to clock in and made it to work in time. After traveling to and from Disney from my new apartment I figured I could leave 40 minutes before my DHS shift and still make it in time. Well, note to self, traffic sucks during rush hour. I got to the cast parking lot with 13 minutes left to park, go through the casting building and get across the park! It involved power walking and shin-splints, but I made it to the trailer with 2 minutes to spare! Go me!

Now, one thing they tell you at MK training is that their park is the best. It is the one that most people associate with Disney World, which is totally understandable. Their purpose, during Once Upon a Time... Is Now is to instill a sense of pride in MK. That being said, I missed my family at DHS. Even though I only worked maybe a total of 4 months with them, my time at ODF will always be my first Disney experience. It's always nice walking in the door and recognizing people and acting as though you never went away. I'm excited to work Fantasmic shifts when I can, even if it does mean more work. I am, however, also excited to see what kind of home I can make at MK Frontierland, and what connections I might make there. I love hearing everyone's "Disney story" (how they started and have moved through the company), so hopefully I'll hear a few more of those.

So tomorrow I start Frontierland Tier 1 Merch Training before starting Merchantainment on Saturday and then having 2 days off. Look for a post, if not tomorrow than definitely on Saturday. Til then!

No comments:

Post a Comment