Monday, June 13, 2011

Training and Playing and Resting, Oh My!

A week ago I moved into Patterson Court and what a week it's been! Between meeting new people, running to the parks, working and settling in I've barely had time to get my head on straight.

This post is going to cover a bunch, so be prepared!

Day 1 Merchandise Training - In Costume - Magic Kingdom

On Friday I had my first day of in costume training. It ran from 9:30 AM - 6:00 PM and in ways was a very laid back day. I met my trainer at costuming and she had me pick out a few more skirts. We then went into the Utiladors where I found my locker and placed said skirts. Then I was issued my very first pin lanyard, from which I could pin trade with the guests! This was the aspect I most looked forward to with Merchandise.

The day was spent learning more about the Utiladors, learning about all the shops I'll be working at, and e-Learning. Well, not really with the e-Learning. Most CPs will do e-Learning a lot their first few days, but a lot of my e-Learning was up-to-date thanks to being a previous CM. My trainer took me through the park and pointed out different locations, like where you can find Tiana, or how to describe the Haunted Mansion. If you read my previous post you must be realizing where I'm heading with this point. I spent most of the day trying to think of a polite way to explain to my trainer that I already know the entire layout of the MK, including rides and character locations. Failing to string proper words together, I simply smiled, nodded and let her believe I was learning new information. When I got a chance I would interject my own little tidbits or sometimes provide information about Hollywood Studios, my previous park. I think it worked well in the end, and despite myself, I did learn some new information about Magic Kingdom.

At the end of the day I had a meeting with one of my managers who asked who my favorite Disney character was... this is one of my least favorite questions as it changes so often, but I told him it used to be Belle, but currently it's Maximus from Tangled. He then taught me that Tangled, being the 50th Disney Animated Feature, has references from all 49 previous films. I'm planning to watch the film a couple times over the next few weeks so I can name some next time I see him.

During our meeting with the manager we went through the four Disney Service Basics, the last of which being: I go above and beyond. This is my favorite basic as I feel it encompasses what Disney service should always be. Not to mention, I love finding ways to go above and beyond. I'm excited in the coming weeks to put this basic into practice!

Merchantainment - Professional Attire - Disney University

The next day one of my roommates and I had the Merchantainment class (Merchandise + Entertainment = Merchantainment). I thought this meant we'd be learning about using merchandise to entertain our guests and create magical moments, but basically we just learned how to use the cash registers. This was mixed with some videos, powerpoint presentations and, yup, e-Learning. Well, this meant I got to go home 1.5 hours early, which was nice since this was the start of my 2 days off for the week. (I found out the next day that after Monday I'll be working 7 days straight before my next day off!)

Playing in the Park - Disney Hollywood Studios and Fantasmic!

One of my roommates got off early the same day I did Merchantainment, so we decided to go check out the last Star Wars Weekend over at Hollywood Studios. The park was surprisingly not as packed as I would have expected. We went straight over to Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage about 15 minutes before the show and still got decent seats. Afterwards we headed over to Muppets, which was walk-on, and then over to Toy Story Mania, which had a posted wait time of 70 minutes. We thought this was a decent time, so we got on the line. Well, just after we got on the Fast Pass attendant let TWO Brazilian Tour Groups (BTGs) into the FP line. This extended the wait to 110 minutes! Well, we had nothing else to do, so we decided to wait anyways.

Side Note: For years I have despised the BTGs and their LARGE parties, loud chants and cheers and rude attitudes towards others guests and Cast Members. Even the Brazilian CMs I know cannot stand them. The idea of letting TWO huge groups into Fast Pass at the same time was incomprehensible to me!

While we were in line the children all around us used the blocked off areas as play pins... this led me to issue one of my catch phrases: You need a license to bring kids here. Sometimes I wonder at parents who let their children run wild in a public setting, especially in blocked off areas. My feelings, I'm sure, have something to do with the way I was raised, but still: just because it's the Happiest Place on Earth does not make it the Safest Place on Earth. NOTE: There were also many well-behaved children in the park, more than misbehaving.

After we got off the ride we made our way over to Fantasmic for the 90+ minute wait for the first show. As soon as we got in the theatre we got caught up in not one, not two, but THREE BTGs who were all fighting to sit together. Sigh. We lucked out though. Just before we resigned ourselves to the fact we'd have to sit among the groups, the Ops CMs opened another column of seats which we were able to climb down and claim THIRD row seats! Later in the evening the BTGs were running up and down and around the stadium trying to start the wave, and then they kept chanting with each other. Eventually the new Brazilian Super Greeters and Ops Manager talked with their group leader to calm them down. The BTGs booed the CMs, but I was so excited that for the first time in 10 years, Disney seemed to be standing up to these groups!

Fantasmic was just as awesome as always, although it should be noted: if you're in the first 5-10 rows, you WILL get wet.

Days Off, Apartment Issues, Time at Home

Sunday and Monday were my days off, so I enjoyed being in the apartment most of the day yesterday. Some things any future CP should know about Patterson: the Internet is SLOW, so don't plan to play any games or watch many videos. Also, our cooking equipment is subpar, with not nearly enough pots and pans to cook a decent meal. If you can, bring some of your own knives, pots, and mixing bowls. Also, cookie sheets and cupcake pans.

Sunday night I went home to watch the Tonys with my dad and I'm here now finishing up this blog so I can return to my apartment. It's been wonderful being home, but I'm excited to go back to my new apartment with my roommates. Having 2 homes in Orlando? I can get used to that!

Between training and real work, I'm not sure when I'll get to post next, so until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment