Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Set Your Laser to Stun

Today was move in day. Woo hoo! We signed the lease, got our keys and started bringing stuff up. Now, because of my crazy work schedule, I'm not moving my big stuff until Monday and Tuesday next week. Today, however, I had a small amount of stuff to bring up. The thing is, somewhere between loading the stuff in the car, driving to the new place (about 30 min away) and signing the lease, I pulled a muscle in my upper thigh, near my hip. Oh, and did I tell you our apartment is on the third floor? Yeah, that didn't translate well with the pulled muscle....

I survived though, and I have a little less than a week for it to heal before we start moving the big stuff. It's been a productive day, though. Between getting the apartment, driving a bunch, and, of course, work, I've certainly had my hands full. Work is a whole other story on it's own. I can't go into detail, but simply said: I'm stressed out. Add that to moving. Just add water and you'll get a nervous breakdown.

My problem is that I think too much. I'm always thinking about what could happen, what already happened, how we can make things better. I think about design and about stories. I stress myself out because I'm always thinking. Luckily, I have a laser pointer. See, there's a certain magic of laser pointers.

You know how a cat could be completely still, sleeping even, but then springs to action when a laser is put in it's path? Whatever it was doing previous is completely forgotten and the only thing that matters is the laser. That's kind of what happens with me.

My best friend once took a laser pointer and created a sort of light show to the sound of the Transformers Score. I was so mesmerized by the dancing lights that I just stopped thinking. Sometimes, you have to stop thinking. He later gave me my own laser pointer, so I could create my own light shows (although mine are usually to the score for Love Actually). And to think I thought you need fireworks or lanterns to mesmerize you into thoughtlessness!

No comments:

Post a Comment