Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Online Dating: Not Your Average Fairy Tale


I grew up, as many girls do, believing in true love and fate. I would watch Disney movies and dream of my own “Prince Charming”, wondering which path I’d follow to find my one true love. Then, after soured attempts in high school and college, and with barely any time to go to a bar and wait around, I decided to stop waiting and start looking. That’s where online dating came in. It’s the modern version of seeing a handsome stranger across the room. Now, you catch a glimpse of a profile, see a few words that seem to click, and suddenly, it’s fate.



So, you send a message, you start talking. You get asked for your number and you think, “Sure, why not?” After all, you gotta make a leap eventually, otherwise how could you ever fall in love? So you give the handsome stranger your number. It’s what Snow White would’ve done, right? You wait anxiously until you receive that first text, and then you can barely contain your inner excitement as you open it. Then you get this:

Wanna cuddle 2nite n hav steamy hawt nerd sex?

*Cue the sound of a record scratching*

What?!?! Perhaps not the Prince Charming I was making him out to be. Is it too much to ask for good old-fashioned courtship? I mean, you don’t need this per say:



But there has to be something more romantic than the standard messages you get through online dating, right? I mean, I’m honestly opposed to the whole “seeing someone across of a crowded room” thing. I’m not a fan of Cinderella or Snow White where a girl is chosen based purely on looks. I am enamored by the love stories of Beauty and the Beast and Tangled. It’s more realistic that love develops rather than is found. But there is still that magical idea of fate. 

While contemplating this, I found this article, about a man and woman who were teenagers when they fell in love, were then separated, and 60 years later finally married. I guess, in some respect, Disney romance can exist in real life, and happily ever afters come when you least expect them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment