Friday, April 5, 2013

Magical Moments in Not-So-Magical Places

If you've ever worked somewhere (or went to school somewhere) that required uniforms, you'd understand what it feels like to see everyone in "street clothes". For me, that's a Cinderella moment. Everyone gets so used to seeing you in your work outfit that when they finally see you in normal clothes, it's "Wow, what a great color," or "Oh my gosh, you look so pretty." You can't help but feel a little bit like Cinderella did when she first walked into the ball and no one really recognized her. 

That was only part of what made this evening a bit magical. I attended an event in Orlando called Bacchus Bash, a sort of food and liquor festival hosted by the Central Florida Hotel and Lodging Association at the Premium Outlets. Over the course of the night I saw two "Magical Moments" that made me think back to Disney. The first was when 5 girls, probably between the ages and 4 and 6, started dancing a routine to no music in particular. Not only was this routine well-choreographed, but the girls put their whole hearts into it, and truly danced like no one was watching. The best part was that the entire crowd took notice, and it turns out everyone was watching. They got a resounding and well-deserved applause at the end. I used to say things like that only happened at Disney, but here it was, happening in normal, everyday life.


I'm sure most of you have seen this picture of a Disney Security Guard asking a little princess for her autograph. Now, it is well known among Cast Members that many of us do this (myself included). We take opportunities to make our guests feel special. Today I saw that not from a Disney Cast Member, not even from a Hospitality Employee; I saw a Magical Moment made possible by a Police Officer.

It was quick--only a moment, really. We were walking through the booths at Bacchus Bash and a little boy ran out of a store to see the Police Officers walking by. Three of them kept walking, but one of them stopped to give the boy a high five and talk with him for a second. I didn't hear the conversation, but you could tell that the boy's day was made just from that interaction.

So, I have a challenge for anyone reading this, as well as for myself: Make it a goal in your day (work or not work related) to have a positive impact on a stranger's day. You might surprise yourself at how one simple gesture can mean the world to someone. 


1 comment:

  1. Awesome goal. I will do my best to rise to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete