Monday, April 1, 2013

Off the Disney Crutch and Standing on My Own Dreams


Why, hello again! It’s been over a year since my last post on Have Faith in Dreaming. In a year I started a new job and was promoted within 8 months. I grew closer to friends I thought had been lost forever. I had my first actual Disney vacation, where I went to Disneyland with my cousin. I even had a few stay-cations, where I witnessed family and friends experiencing Disney Magic for the first time.

For months I’ve dreaded the inevitable: the revoking of my Disney ID. I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep up with my 150-hour requirement the minute I accepted the promotion at work. I half-heartedly attempted to do so. It is with great sadness that I announce that my employment with the wonderfully magical Walt Disney Company came to an end today, April 1, 2013 (nope, not April Fools). No more fake Southern Accent. No more walking in just for fireworks. No more early morning rides on Splash Mountain, or summer sojourns to Typhoon Lagoon. No more discounts, no more free parking. No more unlimited access to the playground I always knew and loved. I can always go back, there’s no doubt with the amazing cast member friends I still have. But it won’t be the same.

So, instead of wallowing in the sadness, I’ve come back here, to this amazing blog that has helped grow my self-confidence and writing skills. I’ve come back here to share, with anyone who will listen, my journey to find Disney Magic in every day life. See, you don’t need a Prairie Skirt to make someone smile, or surprise them with free candy. You don’t need to be looking at a castle or perusing through a Fantasyland to feel like you’re part of a greater story. Even as hard as it is for me to admit, you don’t need beautiful, colorful multitudes of lanterns or fireworks to take your breath away. Magic is all around us; we just need to look.

Walt and I: We're both dreamers, and believers in Magic. 
I used to sign my blog with “Have faith in your dreams, think of the happiest things, and always let your conscience be your guide.” I’m shortening it. Not that I believe you should ignore your conscience, just that my blog isn’t about necessarily making the right decisions. It’s about dreaming and the happiness that results from that. This year, I’ve lost sight of that. I’ve allowed myself to fall into a mundane daily procedure. I’ve looked for the worst instead of the best in people and situations. Disney isn’t a crutch anymore. For once, I’ve gotta learn to stand on my own dreams.

So, follow me if you want, while I search for the Disney Magic in everyday life. I promise to keep positive, or, at least to recognize and apologize for my own negativity if it gets to that. I promise to write when I can and to share what I can.

Have faith in your dreams, think of the happiest things <3   

1 comment: