Sunday, July 24, 2011

So How DO You Survive a 17-Hour Day?

I think I'm at that point where I am BEYOND exhaustion. If my head hits the pillow I most certainly will fall asleep in an instant... but while it's still on my mind, let me tell you about the past 24 hours.

Yesterday was my first 5AM put away shift... at this point I was thinking it was the first of only 5 and it would be over soon. Soon it would be some other poor CP's task to have a week of waking up at 3:30AM to get to work. I was amazed how fast the day went, so I thought if I picked up a shift after my shift today it would be ok.

Here's my problem: I want to work in a high volume guest area. I'm a people person, I thrive on human contact... and they stick me in a tunnel with the mole people. Not saying anything against the usual HOH stockers, just that these shifts don't see a lot of guests. It was Saturday that I heard the awful news: being the only CP in my program to work this shift, I would most likely be stuck with it... for the rest of my program. WHAT?!?!?! No, no, no, no this is NOT good.

I spent the rest of the day fearing Sunday when my schedule drops. I went home. I took a short nap, which of course ruined my sleep schedule for the rest of the night. I finally got to sleep around 1:30A.... 2 hours before I had to wake up for my next HOH shift. When I got up this morning everything was fine. I double packed a bag so I had breakfast and dinner, and all the stuff I needed for both costumes, as well as for some free time in the park. I stopped at McDonald's on my way in for coffee... where even the guy at the drive-thru was amazed I was only heading into work.

Then I got to work, clocked in, and... moment of truth... checked my schedule for next week. NO CHANGE. All either HOH or early morning stock shifts. For the next 2 hours I was close to tears, thinking *this* is what I would have to do for the next few months. All my CP friends get register shifts... maybe some stock... but not all stock. After talking with some more CPs I discovered that this will most likely be my fate, unless I do something about it. And this is where I step into action.

After my HOH shift ended I drove home for a quick break before my register shift (that I picked up) for the evening. I wasn't originally planning on this, but today's HOH shift was a slight physical toll... Argument #1.

This evening I worked in Splash all night. I made sure to stay super friendly, as always, and to keep pepped up. I made sure to greet my manager and explain to him that I was back because I have to get register shifts in order to stay in practice with guest relations... he's not my scheduling manager, but it's a good start. Today was tiring, exhausting, and one of those awful days, but I didn't let it show to the guests, or to my managers. If this is what I have to do to tell them I'm serious about working registers, than this is what I'll do.

I'm going to work tomorrow on drafting an email to my scheduling manager about why I feel I should be taken off HOH shifts. It feels like the first adult email I have to send... feels almost like I'm asking for a raise or something, because I want to work with guests. I want to prove I'm worthy, and most importantly I want to be taken seriously, as a professional.

17-Hour Days? Yeah, I've got those.

No comments:

Post a Comment