Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Joy of Giving

I went to EPCOT alone today.

I'm not saying this as a form of self-pity or looking for condolences. In fact, it was a wonderful experience.

I knew I wanted to see Neil Patrick Harris in the Candlelight Processional, and I knew most of my friends would either be working, or not in town to see him. My parents were going out the one night I had the opportunity to go, so I trudged along to EPCOT after work today to wait in line.

I got to the park at 3:30pm. Already the line for Candlelight was into the Italy Pavilion, almost to Germany. The first show was at 5, and there was a slight chance we would make it. Once in line another woman stood behind me. Not one to stand on my own, I started a chat with her... and then the people behind us. It wasn't until 6:30 that we finally got to sit for a show, and in those 3 hours I got to talk with these lovely people. One of my friends in particular would laugh at how Disney Cast Member I was... giving hints for what to do, sharing stories from my adolescence. Once the woman behind me had her daughters join them (one in 6th grade, the other in 1st) I spent my time asking them about their vacation, about school. I learned who their favorite characters were and what was their favorite ride. When talking with the couple behind the family I learned how they met, where they were from, what vacation they were planning next and how long they've been together.

I got to sit with all of them for the show, and it really reminded me of the magic of Christmas: bringing all sorts of people together under one common goal of joy and peace. The two little girls are planning to visit me on the Ol' Frontier on Wednesday, and I can't wait to add a little magic to their trip!

Today I learned a bit more about myself, and gained a bit of confidence in my own abilities. I was having a hard time getting in the Christmas Spirit this week, and Mom suggested to do so by doing something for others. I have some ideas up my sleeve, so excited to be able to perform the magic of giving.


1 comment: