Thursday, July 6, 2017

Make Each Day the Best. Day. Ever.

There is power in self-worth and self-confidence. There is power in words. There is an unimaginable amount of power in a positive attitude.

Back when I was working for Disney, back when I was on the ol' Frontier, I sat in my car before work thinking about the day ahead of me. It was still summer, and it was still scorching hot outside. None of my friends were working that day. I was in a rut and felt I hadn't accomplished anything of value that month. At Disney, you received "Guest Service Fanatic" cards, or, as we called them, GSFs. You received them from co-workers, and, if you were lucky and creative enough, you received them from managers as well. They were a neat way to say "I noticed what you did and it was awesome." I couldn't remember the last time I had one. All this was bearing down on me, on top of a summer storm rolling in. The cards didn't spell out "good day". But, for what I remember to be the first time, I looked in the mirror and told myself: "Today is going to be a good day. You're going to get a GSF. You're going to make someone's day." And out I went into the storm.

That day not only did I receive THREE GSFs, all from managers, but I also received the "Basically the Best" award that one of the Managers was giving out each day (Thanks Corey!). And, yes, I still have it. While the recognition was rewarding, nothing could beat the feeling of going through the day with a positive attitude. I created a game for children with a basket and some of the plush pumpkins (because at Disney, Halloween starts when it's still summer out). I talked about the liquid pixie dust raining down on us that day. I handed out stickers and stated in my most southern accent "Howdy" and "Happy trails now y'all." It was a magical day, so much so that almost 6 years later I remember it to the last minute of my shift.

My friend Katlyn won a night in Cinderella's Dream Suite and got to pick 5 friends to join. The day they told her, they called a fake meeting and brought in a Disney Ambassador to announce the news. Katlyn, elated, shouted "Best. Day. Ever." The managers all got a chuckle out of that and it became a mantra. Rapunzel shouts this in Tangled as well, and most people have used it to describe their time at Disney or on vacation. You'll see at least 10 Best. Day. Ever. shirts when you go to Disney now, guaranteed.

After moving and getting through hurdles of not knowing what I was doing, feeling overwhelmed, not hearing back from friends and regretting the decision, one day I had enough of the negativity. Baltimore is not Orlando. Once I could admit that, I started looking at each day a little bit different. Today I'm going to finish the report on time. Today I'm not going to voice my frustrations. Today I won't message the people back home saying how much I wish I was there. Today I'm going to be true to myself. Today I'm choosing to shine. And one day, I messaged my good friend back home: "Good Morning, today is going to be a good day." And that was the first day I felt on top of everything. That was the first day I felt like I could conquer anything thrown at me. That day was the Best. Day. Ever.

"Bring your day-off self to work", "If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life", "Your day will go in the same direction as the corners of your mouth". There are a million and one positive ways to look at the day. But it's a conscious decision to choose happiness.

My friends like to tease me because, in the Harry Potter universe, I consider myself a Gryffindor, even though my demeanor and actions definitely point more towards Hufflepuff. But, I argue, it takes a great amount of bravery and courage to fight negativity with a positive outlook. It's not "cool" to be positive, because misery loves company. Choosing to look for the bad and to sulk is easy.

It's not easy to treat a normal working day the same as you treat a day where you win an award, or where you're on vacation. It takes a lot of work and creativity and imagination to mold each day into the Best. Day. Ever. It's a lot of smiling and enthusiasm and finding the fun in what would otherwise be a monotonous conversation. But even with the work, it's less stressful. It's exciting. It's a challenge. And when you tell the world you're going to make it a good day, you stay true to your word.

But, if you fail today, which we're human, surely that'll happen now and again, you find one thing from today that you can look on positively, even if it was a good Lyft ride, or having the time to fully enjoy a cup of coffee; remember today as living in that one moment. And then you choose one thing that went wrong with today and you promise yourself and the world that it'll be better tomorrow. If you're not doing this already, I challenge you to try it. Choose one thing, and make accomplishing that be the thing that makes your day the Best. Day. Ever.





1 comment: