Sunday, November 20, 2011

Christmas isn't about candy canes, or lights all aglow, it's the hearts that we touch and the care that we show

Anyone who knows me knows that Christmastime is my favorite time of year. When I was little my parents made it extra special: bags of toys hanging from the outside trees, shredded carrots lining the porch where the reindeer waited for Santa, opening gifts one at a time while watching 24-hours of a Christmas Story, just to make the day seem longer. As we've gotten older the traditions have changed, some of which have stuck for years now. We have the same breakfast, the same dinner, I make the hot chocolate, the dog plays with the wrapping paper. We have theme stockings (this year it's our favorite books!) and one of us always plays Santa.

One of my favorite personal traditions is spending as much time as possible at Disney. If you've never been to Disney at Christmas, make sure it's noted on your bucket list. It's certainly something you don't want to miss. Between the amazing Osbourne Family Spectacle of Lights, the inspiring Candlelight Processional, the beautifully lit Cinderella's castle and every single fireworks show there's just no beating it. Some of my best memories involve Disney at Christmas.

I'm not gonna lie, it's somewhat brutal working Disney at Christmas: the crowds mostly. I'm not looking forward to working Christmas Day, especially since my family's in town. I am looking forward to the wonderful paychecks that come with the long hours. I have plenty of Christmas shopping to do, and my family knows that most of their gifts are Disney-related.

What I must remember this Christmas season, when I'm at work and when the parks are packed, is that I get to be a part of that Christmas Disney Magic that I always rave about. I get to help make memories and create magical moments. Somehow it all seems a bit better when I realize what I can do for the guests. I get to share with them the Christmas magic I've known and loved, and maybe get them to return again and start their own tradition.

With the way my posts have been going, I might not post again before Christmas, so Merry Christmas in advance!

1 comment:

  1. Wanna do a few evenings at WDW with Mommy in the next two weeks on nights off to see the magic together?

    ReplyDelete